Wednesday

Pursuit! of Jonah with a storm: 1:4-5


When I was a young I used to look after cows after school and on holidays. One day when I was bored I wandered into the bush to pick wild berries. The cows strayed into a nearby patch of maize crop and began to trample the young crop. Just then an uncle came. He herded the cows away from the maize and then looked for me. I had seen him coming and realized was in serious trouble. Scared of the worst, I had gone very still. Then I saw him remove his legendary disciplinary tool, his hard leather belt that stung worse than a bamboo stick. I crawled deeper and deeper into the bush. Later that evening I sneaked home and hid in a corner. Not even cold and hunger pangs would get me out of my hiding place. My unrelenting uncle and his belt caught up with me the next day. I never again left the cows to go pick berries.

Jonah thought he had done the ultimate act of hiding by taking a ship to sail in the opposite direction from his assigned city. It never occurred to him that the Lord could follow him into the sea. He should have read David’s words in Psalm 139: 7-12 “Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me...” I bet if he knew of the danger of the storm, the damage he would cause his fellows sailors, even the threat to his own life, he might not have take flight via the sea.

It should be fairly obvious to most believers that they cannot hide from God. Nevertheless we often act as though he cannot see us when we have disobeyed, as though he will only find out when we go to him to pray. He is everywhere and knows even the intentions of our hearts. Usually the Holy Spirit will try to stop us from rebelling by nudging our consciences. But then God allows us to exercise the gift of free will, the choice to obey or disobey. When we disobey he should just leave us to experience the consequences of our disobedience. But before we self-destruct he disciplines us to get us back on track just like we discipline our children so that they can grow up with the right values (Hebrews 12:6, Rev 3:19). The storm in the sea was a disciplinary action for Jonah.

I have found that the best response when I have wronged God is to confess to God immediately. I don’t wait and hope I will feel better after a few days then sort it out with him. I confess and ask forgiveness right away. The immense release that comes with confessing as soon as I am convicted by the Holy Spirit also breaks the powerful cycle of sin and rebellion. It simply disarms the devil, breaking his hold over your life. If you have in any small and big way been disobedient to God, don’t try to hide further. Don’t wait till you can talk to someone about it, or till you feel better so you can pray. You may just find yourself slipping into a prolonged spell of spiritual dryness. Postponing your confession, mopping around or waiting will only give the devil a foothold to tempt you to disobey more. Confess there and then, and the Holy Spirit will restore you. Otherwise God may teach you a lesson in a watery grave.

In the same breath, when I feel grossly wronged or misunderstood, or given an impossible assignment like Jonah I have found that confessing the associated negative feelings to God immediately opens up my circumstances to his goodness and loving care. Instead of fighting back the next time you feel wronged, close your eyes and tell God exactly how you feel. He will help you walk the high road of loving those who wrong you, and will show you better alternatives other than taking flight from him and from them.

Is there a storm in your life? Could it be the discipline of the Lord and what do you need to do to get back onto track?


Post your comments to share them with other readers on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment