Wednesday

The Cross in Song

Isaiah 53

One of the most powerful age-old resources for Christian meditation, worship and prayer is music. Music has power to speak to the heart in a way that no sermons or devotional or human voice can do. There are many old and modern hymns that refer to the cross. During this season, I invite you to spend time singing and meditating on some of the old favourites, like “The Old Rugged Cross”, or "When I survey the Wondrous Cross”, or “There is a fountain”

For today’s devotional, I invite you to meditate on one such song. If you want to connect this with a Bible text, read Isaiah 53. If you have good internet connection, you can listen to the song on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98LcbCkhqJs&NR=1

O sacred Head, now wounded,
With grief and shame weighed down,
Now scornfully surrounded
With thorns, Thine only crown.
O sacred Head, what glory,
What bliss, till now was Thine!
Yet, though despised and gory,
I joy to call Thee mine.

Men mock and taunt and jeer Thee,
Thou noble countenance,
Though mighty worlds shall fear Thee
And flee before Thy glance.
How art thou pale with anguish,
With sore abuse and scorn!
How doth Thy visage languish
That once was bright as morn!

My burden in Thy Passion,
Lord, Thou hast borne for me,
For it was my transgression
Which brought this woe on thee.
I cast me down before Thee,
Wrath were my rightful lot;
Have mercy, I implore Thee;
Redeemer, spurn me not!

What language shall I borrow
To thank Thee, dearest Friend,
For this, Thy dying sorrow,
Thy pity without end?
Oh, make me thine forever!
And should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never,
Outlive my love for Thee.

What are some of your favorite Easter hymns?

No comments:

Post a Comment